Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Module 2

Only relatively recently have I come to consider myself a feminist. Certainly, I have always identified with feminist values and balked at the idea of inequality and discrimination, but I think that I may have refrained from labeling myself as 'feminist' due to the negative stereotypes that are often associated with feminism, which were addressed in both the readings and the lecture. As Professor Davis noted in the lecture, there are far more people who believe in equality than there are who identify as 'feminist.' I have since settled my reservations, and have no qualms calling myself (or being referred to as) a feminist. While some of the stereotypes can be rather incensing, it's actually pretty easy to dismiss them because most of them are incapable of withstanding the slightest criticism or investigation. Indeed, a fair portion of the feminist population revels in the absurdity of some of these stereotypes, referring to themselves as "Jezebels" and "feminazis," among other terms.

As for a definition of feminism, I do not think that there is any one, certain definition of it. As the page of definitions at the Feminist Resource Website showed, people's conceptions of feminism vary greatly. The definitions ranged from detailing 'feminism' as a quality, a form of advocacy or even "enthusiasm," or a belief, to name a few. I particularly enjoyed the quote from Rebecca West, admitting that "I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute." This ties in to the idea of agency that was mentioned in the lecture.

Another idea that is integral to feminism is that it is inextricably connected with other forms of discrimination, including but not limited to: racism, sexism, ageism, class-ism, heterosexism, size-ism, etc. This theme of interconnected-ness is further expressed in Charlotte Bunch's assertion that "...everything is a woman's issue."

I was impressed with the date of Millicent Fawcett's quote - 1878! - stating that the goal of feminism is to "give every woman 'the opportunity of becoming the best that her natural faculties make her capable of.'" This also struck me as interesting because it could be construed to imply that women are inherently weaker than men - but not necessarily. It also reminded me of Mia's perpetual quest for 'self-actualization' in The Princess Diaries (yes, I read it - years ago!).

In the GLBTQ reading, I thought it was a very important point that the Women's Studies discipline does not typically focus on or even address issues pertaining to these demographics, instead taking a "feminist and/or female-centered approach." Our society ascribes wholeheartedly to the a gender dichotomy of 'male' and 'female', and not much in between. I think this issue is addressed in the next module, so that's all I'll say for now.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I liked reading your reflections on the various quotes about feminism. It's great that you tied them to both your own perceptions and to some more contemporary social examples/issues. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete